Friday, November 13, 2009

Out of the Treasure Chest (Part 1): The Red Skirt

We all possess a “Treasure Chest” – the place where we keep our prized possessions. The possessions may range from our favorite toy from infancy, a bundle of letters / cards collected since adolescence, the very personal diary which captures the first crush, eclectic trinkets and what not.
My Treasure chest has most of the above, as well as an assortment of hand embroidered pieces. These include the first cross stitch handkerchiefs I had made when I was 7 and a few more as the years progressed and my embroidery skills developed and matured.
As a first “proper” post, I would like to share the work I had done when I was in my late teens. This was an elaborate border embroidered on a plain red skirt. It continues to be one of my favorites till date.


Click the Picture for a larger view
The border is a very Indian one and is approximately 12 inches tall. It makes use of the following stitches:
1. Closed herringbone: for filling in the areas
2. Open Herringbone: for the white border
3. Stem stitch
4. Straight stitch
5. Lazy Daisy

Click the Picture for a larger view

The mirror caps which I have used are the ones which are readily available in the market, and need to be sewed on to cover the mirror.


Click the Picture for a larger view

This border took me around 2 months to complete.
Unfortunately, I have lost the pattern and hence cannot replicate it on any other dress.


Click the picture for a larger view

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, Thanks for visitng my blog. I appreciate your views and look forward to them.